The Chief Executive (CE) proposed during his election campaign and elaborated in his Policy Address (PA) in October 2022 that a new CEPU will be established to enhance the Government’s capabilities in research and advocacy on long-term and strategic issues. Apart from conducting in-depth studies and analyses on Mainland policies and developments as well as international trends and reporting the outcome to CE; CEPU will put in place a mechanism for internal deliberations to assist the Government in formulating forward-looking policies.
CEPU has commenced operation since 28 December 2022 and performs the following key functions –
- conducting in-depth studies and analyses on Mainland policies and developments, as well as global developments and trends, and assessing how Hong Kong can keep up with these developments;
- conducting forward-looking research on strategic and long-term issues;
- co-ordinating the preparation of CE’s annual PA and tracking the implementation of PA initiatives;
- providing research and secretariat support to the CE’s Council of Advisers;
- providing internal briefings on Mainland and global developments to promote experience and knowledge sharing;
- assessing public opinions for CE’s reference through various means including web-based data analytics, opinion polls, focus group discussions, as well as networking and dialogue with stakeholders including commentators, think-tanks, academia and other leaders; and
- building up external policy research capacity through measures including administering public policy research funding schemes.